Saturday, April 09, 2011

Blestions

Corey Redekop on  ROOM, by Irish-Canadian writer Emma Donaghue. I haven't read ROOM myself, though I came across a Korean translation of it on a front-of-store table at a bookstore in Seoul. While I have "gi-cho Hanguka" and managed to divine from the front flap that Donaghue is being marketed internationally simply as Irish, not hyphetated Canadian, I was not able to read passages from the novel itself with fluency. However, I did flip through it, and what struck me about it was that it was comprised of page after page of dialogue. It resembles, in other words, a script. This isn't the first time in recent years I've come across a book like this. Which raises the question, are script-novels now acceptable? Is the novel in the process of changing?

No comments:

Post a Comment